Amy's Classic Battle

Polka Dot Rock

Here I am again, wading in with yet another challenge that ties in with my heaving TBR list.

I've decided to put Modern Classics here too, which will be in the pink. These will usually be post-1900, although not always!

January

Vanity Fair - W.M Thackeray (8/10)

March

Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert (6/10)

April

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (5/10)

May

Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier (8/10)

Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons (10/10)

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne du Maurier (8/10)

TBR

Lucky Jim - Kingsley Amis

Money - Martin Amis

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen

Villette - Charlotte Bronte

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes (trans. Edith Grossmann)

No Name - Wilkie Collins

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

Goodbye to Berlin - Christopher Isherwood

Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

Franny & Zooey - J.D Salinger

Anna Karenina - L.N. Tolstoy

To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf

Ooh, some interesting ones on your list (I have one matching and a couple of matching authors on top of that). I'll look forward to hearing what you think of them. :D

• 2 weeks later...

"Vanitas Vanitatum! Which of us is happy in this world? Which of us has his desire? or, having it, is satisfied?"

The blurb:

No one is better equipped in the struggle for wealth and worldly success than the alluring and ruthless Becky Sharp, who defies her impoverished background to clamber up the class ladder. Her sentimental companion Amelia, however, longs only for caddish soldier George. As the two heroines make their way through the tawdry glamour of Regency society, battles

The blurb:

"Oh, why, dear God, did I marry him?"

Emma Bovary is beautiful and bored, trapped in her marriage to a mediocre doctor and stifled by the banality of provincial life. An ardent devourer of sentimental novels, she longs for passion and seeks escape in fantasies of high romance, in voracious spending and, eventually, in adultery. But even her affairs bring her disappointment, and when real life continues to fail to live up to her romantic expectations the consequences are devastating.

Flaubert

I'd still really like to read more French literature :D

So I'll be looking to Judy for more tips!

Ooh thanks Amy :) - I'm about to start reading The Earth by Emile Zola as my April Classics Challenge.

Love your avatar by the way - I think the Moomins are gorgeous - have you read The Summer Book by Tove Jansson?

The Summer Book by Tove Janssen

I think I remember hearing that The Summer Book is semi-autographical...? Or I may have misheard it... Hmm.

As you've probably noticed, I'm on another French theme as I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities: who knew the French said "Thou" and other such Shakespearan-type-phrases a lot?! :) Erm, interesting idea, Mr Dickens!

• 2 weeks later...

I was bored with Great Expectations. I wrote some good essays on it when I read it for GCSE coursework, but that is as far as my interest goes. I loved reading Oliver though. The book is much better than the muaical! I've never read any others. Maybe I should have a classics reading list..